Register as Legal Heir (applicable in case of any deceased taxpayer)
To register as Legal Heir, please follow the below steps:
Login to e-Filing website with User ID, Password, Date of Birth/ Date of Incorporation and Captcha.
Go to My Account and click on "Register as Legal Heir."
Provide the necessary details like Type of Request and Details of the Deceased like PAN, Date of Birth (DD/MM/YYYY), Surname, Middle Name and First Name.
Attach the scanned documents.
Attach a ZIP file containing below mentioned scanned documents :
- Copy of Death Certificate
- Copy of PAN card of the deceased
- Self-attested PAN card copy
- Legal Heir Certificate- Following documents will be accepted as Legal Heir certificate.
- The legal heir certificate issued by court of law.
- The legal heir certificate issued by the Local revenue authorities.
- The certificate of surviving family members issued by the local revenue authorities.
- The registered WILL.
- The Family pension certificate issued by the State/Central government.
- Affidavit in presence of a Notary Public
Click on "Submit" button.
The request will be sent to the e-Filing Administrator.
The e-Filing Administrator will review/ verify the request and approve/ reject as applicable.
e-Filing Administrator may approve asTemporary Legal Heir or Permanent Legal Heir, based on the documents uploaded. An e-mail is sent to the registered e-mail ID.
A person is treated as a Temporary Legal Heir when the person fails to submit any one of the five Legal Heir certificates mentioned above. A person is treated as a Permanent Legal Heir when the person submits any one of the five Legal Heir certificates mentioned in
The Temporary Legal Heir is allowed only to upload ITR/Forms and will not be able to access all other services, which includes add CA to submit audit forms (other than ITR) on behalf of the deceased.
The Permanent Legal Heir may file Income Tax Returns/Forms, View Status of Income Tax Return/Forms, ITR-V Acknowledgment and other filing status of e-Filed Returns/Forms in respect of the deceased.
This ends the process of registering as a Legal Heir.