SOCIAL WELFARE SURCHARGE
Social Welfare Surcharge on imported goods
110. (1) There shall be levied and collected, in accordance with the provisions of this Chapter, for the purposes of the Union, a duty of Customs, to be called a Social Welfare Surcharge, on the goods specified in the First Schedule to the Customs Tariff Act, 1975 (51 of 1975) (hereinafter referred to as the Customs Tariff Act), being the goods imported into India, to fulfil the commitment of the Government to provide and finance education, health and social security.
(2) The Central Government may, after due appropriation made by Parliament by law in this behalf, utilise such sums of money of the Social Welfare Surcharge levied under this Chapter for the purposes specified in sub-section (1), as it may consider necessary.
(3) The Social Welfare Surcharge levied under sub-section (1), shall be calculated at the rate of ten per cent. on the aggregate of duties, taxes and cesses which are levied and collected by the Central Government in the Ministry of Finance (Department of Revenue) under section 12 of the Customs Act, 1962 (52 of 1962) and any sum chargeable on the goods specified in sub-section (1) under any other law for the time being in force, as an addition to, and in the same manner as, a duty of customs, but not including—
|(a)||the safeguard duty referred to in sections 8B and 8C of the Customs Tariff Act;|
|(b)||the countervailing duty referred to in section 9 of the Customs Tariff Act;|
|(c)||the anti-dumping duty referred to in section 9A of the Customs Tariff Act;|
|(d)||the Social Welfare Surcharge on imported goods levied under sub-section (1).|
(4) The Social Welfare Surcharge on imported goods shall be in addition to any other duties of customs or tax or cess chargeable on such goods, under the Customs Act, 1962 (52 of 1962) or any other law for the time being in force.
(5) The provisions of the Customs Act, 1962 (52 of 1962) and the rules and regulations made thereunder, including those relating to assessment, non-levy, short-levy, refunds, exemptions, interest, appeals, offences and penalties shall, as far as may be, apply in relation to the levy and collection of the Social Welfare Surcharge on imported goods as they apply in relation to the levy and collection of duties of customs on such goods under the Customs Act, 1962 or the rules or the regulations, as the case may be.